Oral accidents and injuries are quite common. Although there are many treatments out there for a variety of oral health irregularities, it’s best to deal with any problematic situations before they even begin. However, in some cases, damage to your teeth and gums is done very quickly, so you must protect your mouth from any destruction that could come your way.
Listed below are some situations that are often present in our everyday lives that you should avoid or exercise caution with:
– If you play any contact sports, make sure to use the appropriate safety gear to not only guard your mouth and jaw against damage but also your overall health as well.
– Some food and provisions may be a bit too hard on our teeth, resulting in cracks, fractures, split teeth, and chips, including corn on the cob, hard candy apples, oversized candy canes, and ice.
– Many types of lip and mouth piercings are constructed out of metal or a hard substance that can easily crack or chip your teeth, or even break off and cause infections, gum damage, and become choking hazards.
– Never open products with your mouth, as this is an easy way to break your teeth or damage your gums.
– Unpleasant habits such as smoking and chewing tobacco greatly increase your risk for tooth discoloration, gum disease, and oral cancer.
Whichever services you feel would best suit your needs, Dr. J. Steve Morton and our team here at J. Steve Morton, DDS in our dentist office in Sevierville, Tennessee are committed to providing you the treatment you require. We can be reached at 865.453.1001. Our dental superheroes are here to help!